What are the causes of Thrombocytopenia and how is it related to ITP?
- Bacterial infection in the blood, sepsis
- Dengue fever
- Overdose of scheduled drugs
- Chemotherapy, radition therapy
- Use of blood thinners
- Blood cancer, Lymphoma, Myeloma
- Aplastic anemia
- Chronic liver disease, or Extrahepatic portal hypertension
What are the symptoms of Thrombocytopenia?
Bleedning is the only symptom of low platelets counts. Weakness, tiredness, fever, body pains are not caused by low platelets
counts but can be caused by the underlying condition which is causing low platelets counts.
In its serious shape, you may present conditions like
- Bleeding through your gums or nose
- Reddish tinge appearing on the skin especially near the feet
- Bruises on the skin
How is Thrombocytopenia diagnosed?
- Complete physical examination
- Dengue and other vital infection test
- Immunoglobulin profile
- Bone Marrow test – basic and advanced.
What are the treatments available for Thrombocytopenia?
- Through steroids
- Medicines administered through Intravenous or IV
- Platelets transfusion
- No treatment , just wait and watch under close monitoring
In peripheral centers, steroids are being used left and right for ITP which can lead to serious consequences if not started and monitored by experts. So, it is always prudent to consult a good hematologist before taking treatment.
To understand how you can fight and win over Thrombocytopenia including ITP, visit us and meet our experts at The Haematology and BMT Institute.
MEET OUR DOCTOR
With a renowned experience of 15 years, Dr. SK Gupta’s time in the field is the backbone of the Institute. Having started out as a medical student he eventually sprouted to performing over 250 bone marrow transplants to those suffering from blood disorders.
But his expertise does not end here.
He is specialised in various other arrays including Leukemia, Lymphoma, Multiple Myeloma, Aplastic Anemia, Thalassemia and Sickle cell diseases, Hemophagocytic syndromes and so on.
An ongoing struggle globally is treating patients on time and Dr. SK Gupta’s morale hits exactly that very spot! He has dealt with cases where adults have been affected by the same by following his principle of giving timely treatment.