What he/she says
- Hi, we belongs to Nanded , Maharashtra . This is regarding my father in law who is 62yr , having Diabetes and BP. He takes regular medication and has hectic travel schedule.
- Before meeting Dr. SK Gupta – My FIL (father in law) used to have irregular fever, most of the time it used to come at evening. He used to feel tired. Almost 8-9 months he was going through it and he used to take paracetamol for a quick relief. He did consult many doctors nearby and they did some tests as well. They all diagnosed it as a viral fever and prescribed anti-biotics. Nothing helped him to get over with his fever. When my FIL was in Bangalore, I took him to my family physician, Dr. Manjunath. He advised to do few tests (blood and ultrasound), nothing was clear with these primary tests. Then he advised us to do CT scan. In CT scan report we found out issues with liver, spleen and few bulged lymph nodes around pancreatic area and he suggested to do the biopsy of these nodes. The whole process took 6 months as there was confusion on how to take the samples from that complex place. We did the biopsy and it turned out to be H-lymphoma. Further he advised to meet Dr Gupta who is specialized in blood – bone marrow & Lymph nodal disorders (Like we had Lymphoma).
- He advised to do some more investigations in existing lymph node biopsy specimen. We did a second round of test of the sample and we got confirmed about H-Lymphoma. The conversation with Dr. SK Gupta was very open, he explained the decease, the stage of it, treatment for it and prognosis including possible side effects during and after chemotherapy. He was very positive in his conversation. He gave enough time to address all our doubts and motivated the patient in a right way so that he never loses hope. We all felt very relieved and confident after discussing with Dr. Gupta. He really cares for the patient & family.
- We started the treatment from 1st June 2016 under the guidance of Dr. SK Gupta at HCG Bangalore – Treatment went well. He completed last chemotherapy on 9th Nov 2016. Had complete hair loss but now they have grown to normal state. After the 3rd cycle of chemo, my FIL wanted to stop taking the chemo due to side effect and he was emotionally very weak during that period. He just wanted to stop it and go back to his native. We tried a lot convince him but he didn’t get convinced. Those were the very sad and challenging days for all family members. We took him Dr. SK Gupta for counselling and he sat the discussed all his fears and issues. Dr spend a good amount of time and made him aware why he has to complete the cycle. After that meeting he agreed to complete his treatment. There are lot of fear about chemotherapy in our society but as per my personal experience it was very smooth, no pain or burning excetra during administration in hospital. Only 8-12hrs of stay was there so discharge was on same day. During the treatment my FIL experienced irregular motion, sugar level fluctuation, burning of foot (even now he feels it) but all these were not life threating.
- Currently his cancer is in control – We are doing regular follow, now in Hyderabad as per Dr.Gupta’s suggestions. Dr. supports us by taking call whenever my FIL gets sick due to sugar fluctuation. He talk to doctors who treats my FIL whenever required. The support we are getting from Dr. SK Gupta is invaluable.
- His life style has changed in positive way after the treatment completion. He keeps himself physically active involving in some social activity as well.
- At the end as per my FIL and my experience I want to say make sure you find a good doctor who understands the patient emotionally. Most of the cancer treatment is evolved and they all follow standard protocol. The most important aspect is the HUMAN behind the treatment. Emotional support along with proper medication is very important to fight the cancer. Have a detailed discussion with doctor till all your doubts get addressed. Talking to Dr and sharing patients experience is very important. Share as much details as you can so that Dr will give you proper information. Here I also want to stress on early diagnosis- for us it took almost 8-9months to detect this cancer but if we would have detected early than chances of cure and side effect tolerance would have been better. So as per laymen – if fever is not responding to usual medication or recurring very frequently. Or if you are experiencing uneasiness and you don’t know why. Or if you cannot explain your condition which is hindering your daily routine. Then other than consulting your local doctors including physician it would be wise to consult blood-bone marrow specialist (Hematologist).
Last but not the least – Dr SK Gupta is very hardworking and very professional. Every time we met him, we felt good.
- Date 13 Feb 2018
- Doctor Name Dr. SK GUPTA
- Category Blood Cancer