Overview - What is Leukemia?
What are the symptoms and signs of Leukemia?
- Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) :
- Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia(ALL) : observed in children and adults
- Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML) : observed in older adults
- Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL) : also observed in older adults
- Acute tiredness and weakness
- Change in the colour of the skin
- Fever without chills
- Bleeding through nose and gums
- Joint pains
- Swollen lymph nodes in the neck, underarm, groin or stomach
- Enlarged spleen or liver.
- Infections occurring at regular intervals
- Immediate and sudden loss of weight
- Breathing difficulties
- Shortness of breath.
How does Leukemia develop? How does Leukemia affect the body?
Leukemia is the cancer of blood and bone marrow. When the stem cells in the bone marrow begin to multiply, they develop into the different types of blood cells, present normally in the body; red blood cells, white blood cells and platelets. However in a patient with Leukemia, the development of these cells loses direction and goes out of control. This is when the Leukemia cells or cancer cells take control of the space in the bone marrow.
Unlike some of the other types of cancers, Leukemia is more dangerous as the cancer cells can easily enter the blood stream and spread all across the body. This destroys the ability of normal blood cells to develop and enter the blood stream.
How is Leukemia Diagnosed?
- Physical exam
- Complete Blood Count and peripheral smear.
- Bone Marrow Biopsy ( should the above three tests show acute variations)
- Imaging tests ( not required in acute Leukemias)
How is Leukemia Treated?
MEET OUR DOCTOR
With a renowned experience of 15 years, Dr. SK Gupta’s time in the field is the backbone of the Institute. Having started out as a medical student he eventually sprouted to performing over 250 bone marrow transplants to those suffering from blood disorders.
But his expertise does not end here.
He is specialised in various other arrays including Leukemia, Lymphoma, Multiple Myeloma, Aplastic Anemia, Thalassemia and Sickle cell diseases, Hemophagocytic syndromes and so on.
An ongoing struggle globally is treating patients on time and Dr. SK Gupta’s morale hits exactly that very spot! He has dealt with cases where adults have been affected by the same by following his principle of giving timely treatment.